In the Government’s home Artistic museum of Montenegro and the Historical Museum of Montenegro are situated.
The artistic museum was originally the Artistic gallery. The main gallery is made of 5 collections: The collection of the arts of the Yugoslavian folk and nations, the collection of icons, the collection of the Montenegrin fine arts, remembrance collection of Milica Saric – Vukmanovic and the collection of the copies of frescoes. In the first collection we can see mostly the works of art from XIX and XX century, and among them are some of the valuable works of Serbian and Croat romanticists and the members of the academic realism: Djura Jaksic, Djordje Krstic, Nivak Radonjic, Stevan Aleksic, Vlah Bukovic, Uros Predic, Paja Jovanovic and many others. We also have works of Serbian and Slovenian impressionists: Milan Milovanovic, Nadezda Petrovic, Ivan Grohar, Matija Jama, Rihard Jakopic. Of the works of the impressionists the works of Jovan Bjelica, Petar Dobrovic, Zora Petrovic, Milan Konjovic dominate. Poetic realism is represented by the works of: Marko Celebonovic, Nedeljko Gvozednovic, Pedja Milosavljevic while as the traits of the post – war art the works of Aleksa Celebanovic, Rudolf Sobajic, Miodrag Protic stand out. The collection of the Montenegrin fine arts culture starts with works of baroque painter Tripo Kokolja, and is continued with the works of: Anastas and Spiro Bocarfic, Milo Vrbica, Ilija Sobajic, Djoko Popovic, Pero Pocek, Kosta Milicevic and the sculptor Marko Brezanin – the artists that immortalized romanticism, realism and impressionism on the territory of Montenegro and Yugoslavia.
The period of Cezanne, the post – cubism, modern classicism, expressionism, and poetic realism is given through the works of the famous Montenegrin artists Milo Milunovic, Petar Lubarda, Mato Djuranovic, Milos Vuskovic, Mirko Kujacic, Mihailo Vukotic, Jovan Zonjic, Milan Bozovic and the sculptor Risto Stijovic. In the collection of the post – war collection we have the achievements of the painters and sculptors like: Nikola Djurovic, Savo Vujovic, Velisa Lekovic, Gojko Berkuljan, Aleksandar Prijic, Dado Djuric, Uros Toskovic, Vojo Stanic, Djordje Pravilovic, Marko Borozan, Luka Tomanovic, and Stevan Luketic. As a legacy of Svetozar Vukmanovic – Tempo, a great Montenegrin personality from the WW II and his wife, in the Artistic museum a remembrance collection of Milica Saric – Vukmanovic that contains a smaller collection of the famous foreign painters like: Renoir, Okas, Sagal, Salvador Dali, Rivera, Renato Gattuso, Uzunov is also kept.
In the collection of the icons the works of the Bokokotroska icon painting school attract attention as well as several icons of the foreign provenience, while the collection with the copies of the icons contains some most valuable achievements of the fresco painting in Montenegro.
Next to the Artistic, in the Government’s home the Historical museum is also placed. It was founded in 1989. year. The collections that are in it contain the military and cultural past of Montenegro. The central exhibition has 6 departments: Pre Slav period (from the ancient times until the inhabitance of the Slavs), the period of the middle Ages (from the inhabitance of the Slavs until the end of the XV century), the period from XV until the XVIII century, the period of foundation of the Montenegrin state (1796. – 1878.) and the period of Montenegro in the association with the Yugoslavian nations (from 1918 until today). The oldest material is kept in the archeological collection with the deposits from Duklja as well as from other significant localities of Montenegro. A unique collection of various war trophies especially stands out. It is interesting to point out that the great number of the exhibits that are displayed in the museum was obtained by purchase or it was a gift from someone. In the Historical Museum of Montenegro through epochs the historical but also the social – economic, cultural, educational and business life of Montenegro is shown.
The Government’s home is gladly visited by the tourists in the recent years. That is the case mostly because of the Icon of the Holy mother of God of Philermosa, which they want to see and which is found there. That is one of the greatest Christian sanctities that has several religious – reliquary meanings. It belongs to the miraculous icons and has a great artistic and cultural significance. The miraculous icon of the Holy mother of God of Philermosa is a first – class work of Byzantium art, with a rich gilded surface. The icon is exhibited in the space called the Blue chapel, because of the unusual blue color that illuminates its background. On the icon there are valuable jewels, diamantes, sapphires, and rubies. Its border is made of two lines of 270 diamantes, and in the middle space one can see the three leafs made of brilliants and rubies. The icon still lacks one of the emeralds in the middle of the string, which, according to the assumptions, was stolen a long time ago.