The History of TivatAccording to the opinions of the historians Tivat is the youngest town in Boka Kotorska, as well as on the Montenegrin coast. There are three different opinions about the name of the town. One directs us to an opinion that Tivat got its name by the name of the Illyrian queen Teuta, who besides having Risan for her capital also had several summer cottages in the immediate vicinity of the town now known as Tivat. The second opinion directs us that Tivat maybe got its name by the names of the Christian saints that ate much alike to the name Tivat, like for e.g. Theudorus, Theodosius, Theodotus, Theodulus or middle-aged names dating from the XII century – Theudo and Teodo. However, we often hear the third opinion, which directly clarifies, that the name Tivat comes from the Celtic word “teuto” meaning town.
Historically known facts show that on the soil of Boka Kotorska, and by that in the history of Tivat, several epochs, important for the development of the town, stand out. Those are: Illyrian, Roman – Byzantium, Serbian, Venetian – Turkish and Austrian reign. The archeological discoveries, the monuments of the old architecture and the written historical sources best testify about the all above-mentioned epochs.
According to the records known to the public, the first epoch in the development of the town Tivat that is characterized by the Illyrian period, ended in 168-7 year B.C. Even though only few archeological discoveries testify about that period, that epoch is historically important because of the fact that, that was the period of the fall of the Illyrian state.
The period of the Roman reign in Tivat was significantly richer than to the one in the Illyrian period. In certain older books, one can find the opinion that in the area better known as Boboviste (near Tivat) there used to be a very old town. It is still not quite proved, but it is thought that on that place in the past there used to be a town called Akruvijum (Acruvium). Such opinions are frequently mentioned even today, but besides Boboviste, there are other localities, in the nearer or further surrounding of Tivat that are also mentioned.
In the historical documentation, Tivat is rarely mentioned as the locality, because it is more connected for the area of Boka Kotorska, and the very town of Kotor, and with the historical facts about Tivat you can often see the definition, Kotor district.
Namely, the Serbian state rules with the area of Boka, that is to say, with Kotor and its district at the end of the 1185. Tivat, until 1370 was under the patronage of the medieval state, on whose head was the Serbian dynasty Nemanjic. According to the certain historical data, the coasts of the Tivat bay at that time became famous because of the development of the spiritual reign. In the XIII century, a Serbian saint, better known as Sveti Sava (St. Sava), establishes a Serbian church. In the same period on the Island Prevlaka (Coating) near Tivat, Sveti Sava (St. Sava), enthrones the bishop of Zeta, and on the remains of the benediction monastery, a monastery dedicated to archangel Mihailo, which today exists in the same place, began to be built.
In the year 1420. the coast of Boka Kotorska and the towns that are found on its soil are ruled by the Venetians. Except the Kotor district, Venetian Republic takes over the peninsula Lustica near Tivat as well as the Island Prevlaka (Coating).
The entire period of the Venetian reign which lasts until the end of the XVIII century, the soil of Tivat is characterized by the often battles between the Venetians and the Turks.
Still, the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797. represents a very significant turnover in the history of Boka Kotorska. After the Venetians, many other foreign authorities rule Boka and also Tivat, for almost twenty years.
In the year 1814. the government of Austria, whose reign lasted until the year 1918, is ruling the area of Boka Kotorska and by that also the area of Tivat.
As all the other towns of Boka Kotorska and Montenegro, after 1918 Tivat is included in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenians, later called Kingdom Yugoslavia.
In 1941 Tivat is being occupied by the Nazi troupes. Until the liberation of the town by the partisan squads in November of 1944, German and Italian soldiers dwell.
After the year 1945, after the foundation of SFRJ, Tivat begins to develop as a town, which is primarily, oriented to development of tourism, as a prior economic branch in the former Montenegro and Yugoslavia. Today Tivat is a modern tourist town.