Podgorica – Montenegro can become a world tourist brand if it takes advantage of the potentials that it has – marked in the interview for “Vijesti” the director of the World tourist organization (WTO) for Europe Luigi Cabrini.
The potential of Montenegro – mountain area, natural parks, and coastal region – is there. It just needs to be used in the right way. You can become a brand not just thanks to the potentials which you have but also because of the fact that many people outside of Europe do not know where Montenegro is, and the don’t know that it even exists, and tourists like that – added Cabrini.
World tourist organization is a member of United Nations, and Cabrini is the first official representative of that organization who has visited Montenegro.
After the meeting with the president of the Government Zeljko Sturanovic he said that Montenegro in November will become 151st full right member of WTO, and he used the visit to open the seminar in Kolasin under the patronage of WTO dedicated to the sustainable development on which the work of that organization is based on.
– In previous years because of the political and historical matters you couldn’t use what you have. Now you are in an exquisite situation to become a recognizable brand in this part of Europe with the combination of the mentioned potential and with cultural heritage. You must admit that many people outside of Europe do not know that Montenegro exists. But that is not a defect. On the contrary, if you have in mind that people are accustomed to travel, and that they have seen a lot of places, and that they wish to see new undiscovered destinations – explained the collocutor of “Vijesti”.
In the intention to make the state recognizable, the Government through conducting the strategy of tourism has to give advantage to the quality over the quantity in reception of tourists.
– While visiting Montenegro I had a lot of quality contents, but I think that there is space for widening and rising of the level of the tourist offer. That is a normal process, because in order to attract tourists you need good hotels, new infrastructure, attractions which will not be tightly bound to the narrow season character of tourism. Only quality can enable tourists to stay in Montenegro during the year longer than it was the case so far. That gives better economic results, a greater number of working places in tourist sector, allows the development of local communities in the poorest areas of Montenegro – explains Cabrini, adding that WTO will help Montenegro to achieve the positive branding.
Master plan of the development of tourism should be developed in harmony with the life environment and with all aspects of sustainable development for which WTO pledges. Cabrini says that that is the key for the long-term success and for Montenegro to have real resources to make balance between economic, social and aspects of protection of environment, which makes the sustainable development.
In the World tourist organization, as he pointed out, they think that the trend of growth of tourism in the following years in world frames will be from 4 to 5 %.
– Last year 840 millions of tourists have visited foreign countries, and until 2020 we are expecting that that figure will reach 1, 6 billions. These records go in benefit of Europe which today is the biggest market when we are speaking about the reception of tourist. Inside Europe, exactly unfamiliar countries, such as Montenegro is, represent real destinations – concluded Cabrini.
COUNTRIES IN THE REGION SHOULD CONNECT AMONG THEMSELVES
Director of WTO for Europe said that tourist countries in the region can connect in order to create a unique tourist product with which they would attract the guests from far away countries, such as China, and India.
– In the following years in Europe we are expecting tens of millions of tourists from those countries, the countries in the region could have a joined offer. It is good for those tourists to see several countries in the package. Montenegro could be a part of that wider offer. Such an offer would be less interesting to tourists from some closer countries, but not for those coming from far away destinations – explained Cabrini.
FROM ENTRANCE IN NATO THERE CANNOT BE ANY DAMAGE
Cabrini explained that the possible entrance of Montenegro in the NATO alliance cannot have any negative effects on the development of its strategic branch from the aspect of safety, even though some countries members if that alliance, such as Turkey, had different experiences.
– I do not wish to enter any political issues, but I think that the possible membership cannot make any damage. It is important that a country is seen as a safe destination, and the image of Montenegro shows that it is. When a tourist decided to travel, he will not be guided with a fact that some country is a member of this or that organization. Even though the visit to Turkey has dropped after the terrorist attacks, it has managed to maintain the level of visit. The same thing can be said for Egypt, which was the target of the attack. We live in a period when terrorism dominates our lives, and WTO will work a lot on managing the crisis from the tourist aspect. A man has to take into consideration those risks, and it would be a mistake to cross out any country as a tourist destination – pointed out Cabrini.