Ulcinj – Balkan Venice or the ecological black spot, a strong point in the rich tourist offer or a place which will still be widely avoided by tourists – are the questions on which the government will give answers, when, probably on the session which will be held next Thursday, they will decide about whether the project of solving infrastructural and ecological problems of Ulcinj canal Port Milena will be included in the daily agenda of the international donator conference about the sustainable development, which as it was announced will be held in the first half of the year.
That is a chance for a canal, which carries the name of the last Montenegrin queen, to finally come out from the despair in which it fell because of the several decade disregards of the Municipal land state authorities and obviously powerful individuals who even today, with nothing and no one to interfere, ruthlessly and publicly are selling its shores. At the same time that would be the first time in the last 15 or more years that former biggest natural spawning place of fish in the Mediterranean to be in the center of attention of interest but not because of the ecological incidents which filled the news columns provoking disgust of the public. The president of the LP Ulcinj Dzaudet Cakuli and the president of the NGO “Zeleni korak” (GREEN STEP) Dzelal Hodzic who started the initiative for inclusion of the project in the program of the donor conference, are expecting the positive response.
– I still don’t have the return information whether the project is included in the program, but I hope that everything will be all right and that the Government will recognize something which is a priority interest of Ulcinj. The condition at the moment is not sustainable, and it is interesting that on similar and maybe even less attractive locations, Amsterdam and Venice have become recognizable all over the world – said Cakuli for “Vijesti” and added that he started also the initiative that the revision of the project is financed by the Public enterprise for management of the “Sea welfare”.
In the project which was submitted to the Office for sustainable development it is stated that the stream Bratica, which at the bridge flows in Port Milena and HTE “Ulcinj Riviera” are the biggest polluters of the canal.
– The stream has become and open sewerage of waste waters from the facilities built on its shores, one part of the town and a lodgment Bratica. On the other hand, all waste water of the sewerage of “Ulcinj Riviera” directly or indirectly go into the canal, as well as the sewerage of great number of individual tourist facilities built on its shores – it is said in the project. They further mention in the project as potential polluters Salt factory, and also they mention that about the regular pestilence of fish and the entire living world from the beginning of the fall there are no hard evidence against that enterprise.
– The conclusion is that the degree of pollution of the canal is so present that it threatens with the disaster. The condition is worsened by the fact that the mouth of the canal in the sea at Cape Derane is narrow and shallow because of which only pouring waters flow while the mass of the polluted water remains – it is stated it a part of the project, which to potential donors should depict the reasons because of which the revitalization of Milena is necessary and emergent.
As a solution of the problem in the project they give two options.
– All the sources of pollution of the canal should be removed, and the periodical refreshment of water in it should be left to the atmosphere fallings from the pouring area of about 9.000 ha. The second and the real solution of the problem is connection of the canal with the river Bojana with the previous cleaning of all waste waters – it is pointed out and it is added that the realization of the second project has some alleviating circumstances, considering the fact that around Salt factory there is a defensive canal in a shape of the horseshoe, which is not in touch with the salt waters and which in one place is only 925 meters away from Bojana. The project is worth around 5, 2 millions of euros and the donor means which are planned to be given are in the amount of around 50% while the other 50% would be provided by the Municipality and the state, 25% each.
On a round table in the Business chamber at the beginning of December last year, it was said that Montenegro will present to international donors 55 projects of total value 328, 58 millions of euros, and for their realization they will ask for 247 millions of euros or 64, 5%. From the office for sustainable development they invited the businessman to suggest new projects in order for the list to be supplemented and submitted to the Government for consideration. From Ulcinj came long forgotten “kalimeras” and Port Milena, which until 20 years ago, with its luxury and beauty left tourists breathless. Unfortunately, it does the same thing today, but from completely different reasons, and it is least its credit. And the solution and Bojana are so close…
HODZIC: POLITICIANS ARE TO BLAME
Hodzic stressed that Port Milena is not just a problem of Ulcinj.
– That is a problem of Montenegro, and even the entire region. It would be good if it was places on the agenda of the donor conference but I doubt that the offered project is the right and the complete solution of the problem – says Hodzic and claims hat without the taking of measurements for activation of the existing collector, which would take the waste waters deep into the sea, there is no quality solution.
– Beside that “Ulcinj Riviera” and the surrounding households have to be connected with a special collector onto the existing one. After that, we would have to remove the dams and concrete remains of the old bridge – says Hodzic.
The question why the problem of Port Milena was not actualized earlier, should be posed to politicians and some of the earlier presidents of the Municipality – thinks Hodzic.