Podgorica – Montenegrin part of Prokletije, most unkonown, but according to the opinion of many people the most beautiful mountain massif in Europe, as it was said from the Government until the end of the year will become the fifth national park of Montenegro. Not waiting for the authorities to get organized and bring final decisions municipality of Plac in cooperation with several NGOs has started ambitious projects of organization of sustainable development.
Even though there are few places in Europe to which the nature was so generous Plav is officially one of the poorest municipalities in Montenegro. Special curiosity is the records that even though this is a very good place for tourism Plav has no accommodation capacities.
– The biggest problem still is the lack of hotels. Capacities which used to exist before have been ruined because of the well-known events in the surrounding and refugees and displaced persons were accommodated in them. They are not for any kind of use. They have in plan to open several boarding houses which would be owned by our people from abroad, and their houses could soon be used for that purpose. German organization for technical support GTZ has some projects for education of the owners of private facilities as well as inclusion of credit lines in order for them to fit those houses for tourist functioning – said for Vijesti president of PM Skender Sarkinovic.
Maybe the biggest project in revival of the offer of Plav is the one named “Development of sustainable tourism in the area of mountain of Prokletije” which is done by Podgorica NGO “Green home” in cooperation with the Municipality and local NGO organizations.
– Basic goal of the project is promotion of sustainable tourism in the area of Porkletije through preservation of its natural richness and cultural heritage. The project includes strengthening of the capacities of local authority, NGO sector and tourist organization in Plav. The project was supported by Spanish developmental agency AECI. Beside AECI it is aided by GTZ and SNV, and the monitoring of the entire project will be done by World fund for environment WWF – said the president of Green Home Darko Pajovic.
He pointed out that the ultimate goal of the project is not to have negative effects present in national parks Durmitor and Skadar Lake repeated.
– With proclamation we get a lot, but if there is no infrastructure local people will have no benefits. National park is a great business resource. Prokletije have beautiful lakes, fantastic floral and animal world, areas which can hardly be found anywhere else in Europe and which surpass all existing areas in Montenegro. The lack of promotion has conditioned that very few people know all of this. The project will last for year and a half. Starting phase is the production of the document “Citizens for Prokletije”. The goal is to collect as many ideas and suggestions as possible from local people – said Pajovic.
Turned into figures the project will cost at least 43.000 euros.
– 12.000 euros will be separated for the construction of an eco house in which the Tourist organization will be located, and for which the Municipality would provide free land and communal taxes. Beside that they will invest 5.300 euros in the equipment of the tourist information desk, 4.066 euros for the equipment for local pickers and manufacturers of forest products, 10. 500 euros for the promotional material, and 11.380 euros for the local NGO Triton for the equipment and the salaries of the personnel which would do all the activities on the terrain. Of course to that we should add expenses of organization of round tables, work shops, meetings which will be held in Plav – said Pajovic.
Pointing out that every initiative is welcome Sarkinovic stressed that the national park should not be hermetically closed but that instead it should be an area where certain activities will be held, and even some production, which would not ruin the nature.
– Proclamation will have a huge effect and certain products with that will benefit from that and will become brands, such as blueberry or water from Ali Pasha’s well. Certain people will find jobs in the national park, so far we have been limited in development because we are a bordering municipality. In the following period that limit will be turned into our advantage because Prokletije will become a among-borders park, considering the fact that there are interests both from Albania and Serbia. Those are decisions, which are “opening” Plav together with the planned construction of roads. Mountaineers could, for example , go without any problems from Plav to win the summit of Maya jezerce on the Albanian side, to visit Visoki Deacni, Pec patriarchy – says Sarkinovic.
He too agrees that little has been done on promotion of Plac and Prokletije, but that “one of the advantages of the 5th national park will be the fact that it hasn’t been discovered enough”.
Is there a better commercial for Prokletije than the record that Prokletije have 50 summits higher than 2.000 meters. GTZ in that segment will make tourist maps, and it should place mountain signals, and placement of the local touristy signalization is in progress – said Sarkinovic.
PROKLETIJE ON THE LIST OF WORLD HERITAGE?
Montenegrin Prokeltije are a smaller part of a separate mountain complex of Dinaryds and Sarske mountains whose major part is in Albania. Mountain wreaths are about 70 km long, and highest peaks are Maja jezerce (2.694 meters) on Albanian territory, Djeravica (2.656 meters) on Serbian side, and Maja kolata (2.530 meters) and Bogicevica (2.358 meters) on Montenegrin territory.
As Prokeltije belong with its south part to Albania one of the goals of the project is for them to be thoroughly examined and one day be suggested to UNESCO to be listed in the World natural and cultural heritage. National park according to the current Master plan with preliminary results has about 14.000 ha.
The Government has put Prokletije as candidate for a national park as a part of the project “Provision of the protection of bio-diversity and sustainable usage in the eco region Dinaryds in Montenegro” which would be financed by Global fund for environment (GEF). Considering the fact that GEF decision is still to come the Government has decided to make documentation for proclamation of National park by itself, and has decided that the future funds of GEF will be spend for protection and sustainable usage of Prokletije.