Inside the Old town of Budva you will come across the church of Sveti Ivan (St. John). The church was built on the remains of a church which dates from VII century. The appearance, which it has today, dates from XV century. That is a three-story basilica with the Gothic details on the façade. The belfry, which the church has, was additionally built in 1867, and on the south side of this church the edifice of the bishop’s castle was additionally built.
Many valuable things, such as the icon of Holy Mother of God with Christ, better known as Budvanska Bogorodica (Holy Mother of God of Budva), are kept in the church. According to a legend the author of this icon is considered to be Sveti Luka (St. Luke), while according to expert opinions this icon dates from XIII century. From the other valuable things we should by all means mention painting of Sveti Petar and Pavle (St. Peter and Paul), a piece of work of Venetian school, icons of Greek origins, and the painting of Sveti Luka, work of Anastas Bocaric.Browse Other Budva Attractions