Book your Perfect Holiday

Herceg Novi Heritage

The church of Sveti Djordje

The church of Sveti Djordje (ST. DJORDJE) and Spas (SAVIOUR) with episcopacy residence – that complex is situated in Topla (a place in the middle of the road between Herceg Novi and Igalo). The complex has two churches, but also a little building in which long time ago Montenegrin bishop Petar II Petrovic Njegos learned to read and write. The church of Sveti Spas was made of stone from Korcula in 1713. The iconostasis in the church is the work of Greek masters from XIX century, and it also has a lot of Russian icons. The little church of Sveti Djordje was built at the end of the XVII century on the remains of the old Turkish mosque. The iconostasis in the church is a work of the Boka Kotorska painting school. The churches have a great number of valuable icons, silver dishes, and old printed books. The episcopacy residence is situated in the west suburbs of Herceg Novi. It is a two floored edifice in which famous episcopes during the long history of the town (1690 – 1716) stayed. Since that edifice was repaired in an inadequate way, it lost a part of its authenticity


© 2005-2019 Visit Montenegro. All rights reserved. VISIT-MONTENEGRO.com® is private web project.