Book your Perfect Holiday

Cetinje Churches

Billiard pool hall

booking.com
BILLIARD POOL HALL – is situated in the immediate vicinity of the Cetinje monastery. Originally that building was called the New house, in order to be changed into the Njegos`s billiard pool hall after the arrival of the pool table in Cetinje. With its appearance it looks as a simple medieval castle, and it is a work of the Russian emissary Jakov Ozereckovski. The roof is covered with leader, and on the sides there are stone walls (there used to be 4 towers). In the yard of the billiard pool hall there used to be 3 wells. The building itself has the length of 70 meters and the width of 7.5 meters. It had 25 premises, from which some of them ruler Njegos used for his personal needs.

Booking.com
Private Transfers

Other premises were meant for the Senate, Montenegrin Prince`s guards and other state organs. Until 1867. Billiard pool hall was the residence of the ruling dynasty Petrovic. At the beginning of the XX century from the south wing of the Billiard pool hall a spacious building for the necessities of the Military Ministry was annexed, and it is still preserved even today. The towers were ruined in the meantime, and in 1951 with the great renovation of the Billiard pool hall, the original appearance was restored. At that time Njegos`s and Ethnographic museum were founded. After the earthquake in 1979 Billiard pool hall was renovated once more, and only Njegos`s museum remained. Next to the Njegos`s residence, the base of the museum is also made of Njegos`s library, and the library of his predecessor Petar I Petrovic, better know by the name “holy ruler”. In Njegos`s museum in the Billiard pool hall the greater part of the book from philosophy, religion, history and geography that were printed in 1549. and in 1851. are preserved. In the libraries one can see the literary work “Gorski vijenac” (Mountain Wreath), in the original manuscript, as well as its various publications in foreign languages. In the museum Njegos`s pool, seating chair, chair for rest, ruling ornate, two portraits – oil on canvas, and the works of famous European painters of XVII and XVIII century are also found.

He was a great shooter and pool player in which no one could beat him. Among the most valuable exhibits of the museum are: golden feather for writing, inkwell, the ring and Negus’s notebook. The extreme attention of the visitors attracts also the metal cash register in which the state money was kept.

In the south part of the Billiard pool hall in the specially built modern pavilion, a relief map of Montenegro is placed. It was made in the period of the Austro – Hungarian occupation of Montenegro in 1916. /1917. year. The military occupational governance have made a special relief map of Montenegro in the proportion 1:10 000. Even though relief had a very important military – strategic character, sculptors and engineers that built it took care also of the aesthetic appearance of the relief. More important objects, of the former Montenegro, the infrastructural once as well as those of super – structural character, are marked on it very well.


© 2005-2019 Visit Montenegro. All rights reserved. VISIT-MONTENEGRO.com® is private web project.