The History of Podgorica - Part IV
Considering the former policy of the Kingdom, between two world wars Podgorica did not develop in the right way, and was the center of the constant conflicts of aristocracy with the economically, politically, and nationally deprived citizenship. Former Podgorica district, which encompassed territorial area of present Podgorica, was the center of the institutions such as Zeta financial bureau, Great court, Post office, Public Federal Legal Office, Bureau of tobacco monopoly etc. In that period in this area live around 37.000 citizens. Near the very Second World War that number went up to 50.000, while in the very core of the town lived about 14.000 citizens. Citizenship was mostly engaged in agriculture and small percentage was engaged in other business branches such as handicraft and merchandising.
The Second World War largely marked the modern history of Podgorica. From the beginning, occupational bombings, in 1941, until the ending allying, in 1949, Podgorica suffered an irretrievable damage – the town was destroyed, and thousands of people died. On the 19th December 1944, Podgorica was liberated, and this town is celebrated today as the Municipality Day.
After the war and the change of the name, Titograd became the capital of the Socialistic Republic of Montenegro, on of the republic of the Socialistic Federative Republic of Yugoslavia. The new town developed extremely quickly. By opening of schools, factories, scientific, cultural, health social institutions, Titograd soon took over the leading role in the region. Titograd became the center of the industry of aluminum, refinement of tobacco, production of furniture and clothes, and the rich resources have brought the development of the agricultural combine “13 jul” (13th JULY) which even today is considered to be one of the most famous and most quality brands when we are talking about the production of wines and alcohol beverages. Scientific institutions gathered around the University of Montenegro, contributed Titograd to become a scientific and cultural center of Montenegro.
In the 90’s of the XX century, which brought the conflicts on the territory of the former SFRY were also the period of stagnation in the development of the town, but after the ending of the wars former Titograd, now Podgorica, ,clearly oriented itself towards the European standards of the town existence. In the last few years the face of the town of Podgorica is changing rapidly. About 170.000 citizens of the capital town, now of the independent Montenegro, are witnesses of the new approach to architecture, modernization of the town infrastructure while the town grows into a new European metropolis.